Hope Thrives In Aurora

Hope Thrives in Aurora

After the disheartening Town of Aurora Public Planning Meeting in February, I needed a sense of hope.  I felt defeated and didn’t understand what had happened – my town would never exclude anybody, would they?  But they did.  I needed a sense of peace and hope.  

(Read more about that meeting at this AuroraToday - local news link)

I looked up 14452 Yonge Street on my phone and wanted to visit.  I was curious what the train felt like and how the pumping station impacted a sense of peace.  I was open to being wrong, but I wasn’t.  I brought my dog Target, and maybe forgot my leash that day.  I drove south from my home, slowly approached the entrance and didn’t know if I was allowed to drive in.  I did!  It was a small thrill of excitement.  The laneway was maintained, and all snow removed, it had a certain welcome feeling.  I opened my car door, Target jumped out and was at home.  No leash, no bylaw.  Only peace.  It would be an understatement to say he loved it.  



Target enjoying Hope Park





I thought about those who stood up for humanity and inclusivity on the night of February 13th.  I walked deep into the snow-covered trail that had not been touched by human footprints and smiled as I recalled how Klaus Wehrenberg spoke about the property.  On February 13th he asked the town and region to develop a trail system for all to enjoy.  When I spoke on February 13th, I thanked Klaus as I thought he was right.  He gave me hope.  I took a few pictures to remember this day and feel good about our community knowing we had local heroes like Klaus. 

After Target and I had our first walk at 14452 Yonge Street I came home and looked through my photos.  One that stood out;  a picture of the public planning notice sign that has since been removed.  

I didn’t want to see that sign; it didn’t remind me of the strength that Klaus demonstrated.  Instead, I opened Microsoft Paint and converted the sign to an invitation to visit.  14452 Yonge Street became Hope Park.  To Target and I, it will always be Hope Park.  A place where people like Klaus and other members came together to do what is right.  I knew we had a voice and I knew it was powerful. 

I hope William* can one day enjoy the new trailhead that is adjacent to the proposed Emergency and Transitional Home.  I know Target will.  It's a stunning addition and I am proud Klaus made an impact.  It was February 25th, 2024 and I found it. 

Hope thrives in Aurora. 


* See our post about William


Other blogs in a Aurora Cares, Housing For All:

"Our Launch Blog, Who?, What?, Where?, When?, Why?, How?"

"His Name is William"


Join the group Aurora Cares, Housing For All




Comments

Popular Posts

His Name Is William

Dignity, Not Density

Aurora Cares, Housing For All - The Launch