His Name Is William

I love this town and all that is offered, especially our public green spacesI visit 14452 Yonge Street on almost a daily basis; it is perhaps the most tranquil and peaceful public space in townMy dog is especially a fan; he knows the property well and enjoys all the smells nature has to offer...he has yet to smell the pumping stationHis name is Target, he is part of the hound family. 



Target and I were heading to my usual space at 14452 Yonge last week when I decided to make a quick detour and visit Williams Secondary SchoolI parked on the side, opened my car door and noticed a tent along the outskirts of the sports fieldI went along my way, letting my dog enjoy the sports fields as much as I doTarget led me directly to the tent, smelled the side and was very much interested in meeting the ownerA zipper opened, a young man with a big smile popped his head out and said, “Hi” with a big smileHe asked my dog’s name, he chuckled at TargetHe informed me his name is WilliamTarget can read body language and felt safe in William’s companyI sat down on the grass and listened while William told me about his journeyHe was happy to share, I was happy to listen. 

William spent the Winter using services from Inn from the ColdHe enjoys his stay and the service they provide. He cannot find a bed throughout the summer, though he was excited to give me a tour of the tent his mother recently bought himHe was strategically positioned in the shade; a good spot as a heat warning was issuedHe shared with me that he had lunch with his mother in town and was more than thrilled to see herWilliam informed me he went to school on this very spot and felt a little ‘at home’ after spending time with his momHe had lived in the Aurora Heights neighbourhood and had fond memories of his younger yearsWilliam is now 28 years of age. 

(note:  Inn from the Cold provides services all year.  Visit https://www.innfromthecold.ca/ for information).



After chatting for about 30-minutes, I asked William if he wanted a coffee or any snacks before bedHe declined, saying that chatting with me and hanging out with my dog made his nightI let him know he made my night, and apparently my dog thought he was okay as well.   

I was left wondering what William's 16-year-old self, having grown up in this very community, would think, if he knew that plans for 14452 Yonge Street, a potential home while he found his feet, would be scrapped on a political whim. 

I hope we bump into each other again, William. 


Author: Adam M

*********************************************************************************

Other blogs in a Aurora Cares, Housing For All:


"Our Launch Blog, Who?, What?, Where?, When?, Why?, How?"


Join the group Aurora Cares, Housing For All



Comments

Popular Posts

Aurora Cares, Housing For All - The Launch

Disappointment, after working so many years on solutions (Coming Soon)